Friday, June 03, 2005

Conk week

It’s been a long time since I enjoyed this luxury – sitting in a corner seat in barrista, with a lap top on, waiting for a cup of coffee. The day finished early today, which is funny because we have so many more things to do. It’s raining cats and dogs in Bangalore – the monsoon is out with a vengeance wrecking our sets every evening.

Yeah. I miss my glasses. I so miss them that till today I never realized how much I have become dependent on them. Every once in a while, when I am at home, I spend about five minutes searching for where I left them. My hands reach for the bridge of my nose as I work to help myself think well. It takes me an instant, when I stare at myself in the mirror, to realize I don’t have my glasses on.

And what a way to lose it! One fine day, super ted was rushing for a meeting, running inside his mind, his first words and a firm handshake. So engrossed was he that he literally walked into a glass door, that was so clean that it looked non-existent. His glasses took the brunt of the hit, split into two, scarred his face and left a nerve on his temple swollen making him feel like a squint. Since then, super ted has been walking around like our 60 year old tinu mama, narrowing his eyes to give some shape to the haziness around him, and staring hard into his computer screen the whole day to make sense out of hazy little curves, sitting on screen in a straight line.

What’s frustrating is how insecure lack of glasses makes me feel. The fact that I can’t see clearly somehow dulls my entire outlook towards a day in the morning. I have stopped reading; I don’t recognize people until they are at arm’s length, giving my worst dumb-and-dumber smile every time I go through the “Oh-It’s-you” epiphany just before they are going to walk past me. And much to the amusement of the security guard, every time I enter or leave the building, I grope for the door like a blind man, even when I am absolutely sure the door is open. Can’t imagine myself getting hit again!

It’s been a funny week though – first my glasses. Day before yesterday, I got drenched so badly that my mobile conked off and started acting weird. I can scroll up the address book but not down; I can receive a call but never cut it; The keys for 0 and 9 don’t work and if ever my mobile key pad gets locked, I can’t unlock it without dismantling it and putting it back together again! No – Please don’t knock my door requesting me to sell such a master piece. I am not entertaining any buyers!

Ok. Let me go get some sleep now. This is the only part of the day that I see clearly now – my dreams!

3 Comments:

Blogger Sindhuja Parthasarathy said...

ah....u didn't tell me this banging story,but ofcourse it is as gud as being posted on the intranet.everyone around is
talking about this man who seems to be gropping in dark in brite sunlite :)

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Partner!!
Didn't know u had become so blind in the years that u dint see me ;-)

11:10 PM  
Blogger Rathish said...

Hey partner!!
what a pleasant surprise :)
where didn't I see you man? where are you?

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home