Friday, April 22, 2005

Extra bunch of grapes

Disclaimer: I am weird.

Every once in a while when I am lost in thought, I display strange signs of withdrawal which include, refusing to open my mouth and relying completely on sign language to convey what I have to say (read the disclaimer above!). It was one of those days when we were discussing something about my play. We had a five minute recess and since I was hungry, I thought I might go to the nearest fruit shop and get something to eat for the whole group.

Once I reached the shop, in the same mood of introspection, I pointed to a pile of bananas and asked him in sign language to give me six and asked him how much it costs. The stall owner for some strange thought I was not only mute but also deaf. He answered with exaggerated signs, clearly enunciating his words so that I can follow his lips. I then followed to buy some grapes - explaining him that I need half a kg of grapes that aren't sour. He smiled, packed everything carefully and just when I was about to leave, called me and gave me an extra bunch of grapes.

Touched I was, I wasn't sure what to do. I realized that telling him I am neither dumb nor deaf would be a dumb thing to do. I smiled weakly, placed my clenched fist to my chest (a sign for thank you that I had learnt in the spastics society) to say thank you and rushed out of the shop.

4 Comments:

Blogger M said...

Yeah, it's always awkward when people think you have problems which you don't have. One time I faked having a broken ankle at school. Later that day, I was crossing the street with crutches on and was holding up traffic pretty badly. Everyone was staring at me and when I finally got across the road, I picked up my krutches and ran away.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Santhosh said...

U sly ***...we all know abt you man..but I dint think u wud stoop this much for just a bunch of grapes..hehe..jus kiddin machi. Actually something a little similar happened to me once. I was owrking part time as a Webdesigner last summer. I did not have any set hours to work in a week and was to get paid for any xyz number of hours i showed up in a week. As it was summer and as I felt it was a crime to not be on the lake side I bunked work for two days to check out scantily dressed white chicks!! The next day I went in early to make up for the hours that I lost the last couple of days and told the guys at work that I was sick. I faked a couple of coughs and to my horror a really bad dry cough set in. I started couging like crazy and I couldnt stop it!! The webmaster(the boss) came around and he asked me to go home and take rest. He also asked me not to come to work the whole week so that i get enough time to recover from my illness(so that i dont infect anyone else)!!! I fell into my own trap and thanks to my stupidity I dint get paid hte whole week

5:54 AM  
Blogger Avinash said...

I dont think Rat can ever b weird ( I never meant to b Sarcastic da, though it sounded like one) ;-)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Avinash said...

@ Santhosh,

That was quite an Incident man.... U ended up proving Urself dear.....

10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home