Friday, February 18, 2005

Door delivery - not any more

Recently read this article about how in bombay, sleazy videos and posters are being banned (and how TV channel owners and film producers are actually co-operating, thanks to the carrot or the stick I am not sure) and I think it's a pretty good move. At least the intention seems to be good - As much as I have found the latest music videos crass, obscene and distasteful I have never indulged in the moral argument about the duties film/video makers have towards the society. Let's face it - With millions of rupees in hand, films cease to be a social art form but is just a sprawling industry. I have also believed that if someone wants to pay money and get "entertained", it's no one's business to stop him (also because, if he's made up his mind, you really can't do much about it!). What I was against, is the push strategy where it was delivered "hot and spicy" right at the door steps without anyone asking for it. Our 13 year old bunty, who's doing his science homework will get his first glimpses in bum pinching without him having to move a finger.

No, I don't have any pretensions that this is going to help emancipate youth and cleanse our society. But I am sure, this is logically the only thing we could do to make sure there's a certain cost in indulging in such pleasures and such things are not stuffed into the dinner time family entertainment.

I think the real fun will start when they face borderline issues as to what's vulgar. I am waiting for Mahesh bhatt and Shiv sena to have an intellectual debate on "To show and what to show"

1 Comments:

Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

make it even better - Shiv Sena and Mallika Sherawat :)

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home