Friday, January 14, 2005

Meri 30 rupees chai ki kasam ....

If you live in bangalore, and you have been to the Barista inside Leela palace you probably understand how wonderful it feels to take a book, sit there in the first few hours of the morning (which is 9:30-10 on a sunday) and sip some delicious cafe mocha (if you haven't been there, please do! it's got an amazing ambience). Typically, once or twice in a weekend I go there in the mornings and spend close to three hours reading some book.
It's usually empty during those hours save some foriegners. So, even a group of 5-6 people sitting together is quite conspicuous. Last weekend, when I was there, on the last table were a family of four arranging four more chairs around them, talking in a not-so-hushed tone. I don't know what - but there was something about these people that made me think that the rendezvous is of the "matrimonial" type. I looked carefully to find who the bride was - and there she was with an extra layer of makeup, some lipstick quite at ease (without any of those traditional anxiety shown in our tv serials!). After sometime, the family of the groom arrived - a well-shaven, well-groomed groom accompanied by his parents. So, all the hugging and shaking hands happens. After sometime, the guy and the girl go to another table outside (this cafe has an indoor and an outdoor section) and started talking. Now, a curious kid that I am I couldn't help noticing what was happening (terrible, I know! but hey, they didn't seem to care). Since I couldn't hear what they were saying, I was trying to dub for them based on their body language. The conversation, I am sure went something like this!
Guy: It's quite cold told isn't it. I guess we should have sat inside.
(both of them look inside if there are any free chairs. Then the girl probably said something about privacy - something little naughty perhaps coz they gave each other a knowing smile. They sit and for sometime, there's no visible "signs" in their body language and then it starts)
Girl : I think you have really lovely hair.
Guy: Really, you think so (and inadvertently runs his fingers through his hair)
Girl : Yeah sure! I think it's awesome.
Guy: (Turning pink with every passing second). Well thanks! I take good care of it you know. Anyways, let's talk of something else.
Girl : (Mischievously) No. Let's talk about your hair.
Guy: (Now, really really pink!) God, you are terrible. Stop looking at me like that (and starts looking around at other chairs and suddenly at me. I stare at my book and after sometime, return to my dubbing business). So, tell me where do you work.
Girl: I work in a blah! blah! blah! .... (nothing very spectacular for sometime)
Guy: (with a tinge of nervousness. He has this constipated look on his face) I hope everything goes on well. You know the thought of living with a stranger for the rest of my life is quite scary (and gives a very nervous smile)
Girl: (placing her hand on his hand, gives a reassuring smile!) It's going to be ok. Don't worry
Guy: (now visibly relieved places his hand on top of hers) I am so glad I met you.
(... and then they started talking a lot of naughty naughty things coz the guy was blushing big time and the girl was having a hearty laugh!)
Inside, the parents of the girl probably were telling their counterparts how very responsible she is and I am sure the guy's parents were telling them how sensitive their son is and how they have taken care of him like a fragile flower. Afterwards, it became too much for me to take. Trying to avoid the impending danger of laughing at their faces, I left the place).
I am sure they will make one happy couple!

1 Comments:

Blogger Rathish said...

>> "you are correct and the Bluebird of Happiness will indeed flutter over their lifetime of connubial bliss without once splattering them with a diarrheal dropping of messy reality"

Really?? I said that? Yeah, you know! Sometimes I do surprise myself with such profound words of wisdom :) Anyways, I didn't quite intend it seriously as it was intended to be a funny post! anyways, now that you say so I wish they wouldn't be shit on their heads!

Thanks for dropping by :)

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home