Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Value for money

Location: Barrista
Masala tea @ 35 rupees
Salient features
  • Lack of customization - They give you the tea bag, the water and the sugar. So, in effect you prepare the tea for yourself.
  • Lack of perks - There are no supplements, an innocous bite of chicken tikka would cost you another 50 bucks
  • Lack of personalized service - I go there 20 times in a week and the guy doesn't even rememember my name
  • No entertainment - If you manage to sit there for 2 hours, you would be lucky to see 12 grand mummies and 5 aunties
  • Quantity - One should admit, they gave you a lot of hot water
  • Chairs and sitting time - They don't mind even if you sit for hours together and the chairs are also pretty good.
Location: Nair tea stall on the roadside
Masala tea @ 3.5 rupees
Salient features
  • Customization - He gives you four varieties - nair special, milk, ginger and the "royal" masala tea prepared and served readymade to you
  • Perks - You buy a cup of tea and you get a marginal discount on the butter biscuit
  • Personalized service - I spent 10 minutes there and now he knows what my dad likes for dinner! every time I go that way, he waves at me such vigour
  • Entertainment - the shop is strategically placed in the junction where 4 roads meet. So, at about 4 in the evening, what do you know it is a treat for your taste buds AND your eyes
  • Yeah ... quantity could be better. but for 3.5 rupees, you wouldn't expect a porcelain soup bowl, wouldja!
  • Chairs and sitting time - I am sure he wouldn't mind if I sit with him for an entire day. But I admit, that's not a very strong argument because one, there's no chair to sit; two, there's no place to keep a chair; and three, if I indeed keep a chair in front of his shop I will be in the middle of a road.
Sukumaran nair's masala tea wins 4 to 2 (those 2 being close decisions)!! And I pay one tenth of the price for it. Value for money was just lofted for a huge six and fell outside the stadium of reason.

An extension to the blog, as a tribute to my favorite director.

Me: There's also a tea shop on the other side of the road that serves tea for 2 rupees. But I don't drink there coz it's filthy.
VV: The tea tastes good. The tea smells good. You should try it.
Me: I told you - it's filthy. They serve tea in a paper cups and anything that's thrown after being used just once is filthy.
VV: So, going by what you say do you consider a condom filthy?
ME: I aint drink my tea in no (expletive deleted) condom. However, I wouldn't go so far as calling a condom filthy. A condom saves lives, A condom's got personality.
VV: So, by your definition, if a paper cup saves lives, it ceases to be filthy.
ME: Then you should be talking about one damn good (expletive deleted) paper cup!

6 Comments:

Blogger Kumari said...

Why are expletives deleted? do they like that feeling? Or are we trying to be extra nice even when we swear? Aaargh i don't care! all i wanna say is this is O(nion)Ma(sa)LA good comparison! Long Live Nairs (and Menons too :p)!

5:25 PM  
Blogger Rathish said...

the expletives are deleted coz I recently applied for a U rating for my blog :) Wasn't sure if condom counts as objectionable material - guess that will be classified educational ;)

5:30 PM  
Blogger Kumari said...

Hey what is this U-Rating? how does one apply, if at all i feel i should?
Does writing about women 'clothing' debar me from applying?(it took me awile to come up with a-politically-correct-but-completely-boring word for spaghetti tops)

6:35 PM  
Blogger The Tobacconist said...

aha! A QT fan! You coolly assumed the role of SLJ didn't you! Maybe a nice interpretation of the .. "The paths of the righteous ..." speech is due.

Nice blogging dude.

Sanketh

1:22 AM  
Blogger Rathish said...

Ask me, "Ezekiel 25:17" - is the most amazing dialogue ever delivered on screen! SLJ is just amazing as Jules. Can't remember how many times I have seen that movie!! :)

10:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget Nairs!Nagarji serves tea with Mirchi chat.Give you a bench to sit on and wait till all your friends get there.(have u noticed,that if u went there alone,someone or the other will definitely join?).He allows you keep accounts that you can settle once in a semester.If the bill is heavy,you get a free mango shake or papdi chat.And he sure remembers ur name,which is always addressed with a "ji" suffix.(what more customer service do u want?).Oh yeah personalisation,he poses with you for snaps before u pass-out and he displays them in his glass box if u were regular customer.And and home made lunch is also provided on request.chai btw is priced @Rs 3
Ah now i miss the VKB redi so much.

5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home