Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Swades

Whoever told me Swades is a good movie - what were they even thinking! No seriously, there's a certain responsibility one has when judging and commenting on a movie. I really want to catch them by their neck and ask them what they think is a good movie. A good movie, according to me, is something that leaves with you with a smile when you are off the cinema, that makes sure you enjoyed your popcorn and coke and gave you enough chances to comment loudly during emotional scenes. Was swades even close to this definition. Take it from me - Swades is not good. It's brilliant! it's sincere, heartfelt, professional, technically sound. It has soul, subtlety, a wonderful cast who give it life and a man at helm who gives it direction.
Films I feel are worth talking of are of three kinds - popcorn fare time pass movies (no, I am not talking of no-brainers! I am talking of thorougly entertaining movies) - the incredibles or any of those pixar animations, kamal's memorable comedies, DDLJ are excellent examples. I don't spend a single minute thinking about these movies but love seeing them again and again because they are excellent entertainers. The second genre are movies that move you. They talk to you and affect you even after you come out of the hall because there's something about the movie that related so well to you - most of kamal's movies (thevar magan, kurudhi punal), mani rathnam's movies are in these kind. And there are the third type of movies - movies that change your life. Movies that you saw in the right time that affected so much that it ceases to be a movie and changes you as a person and the way you think for the rest of your life. It's not just about the movie but also about when you see it - lost in translation was one such movie, jerry maguire for me was one such movie, Fountainhead was one such book and Swades is definitely one such movie.
Let me digress a bit here - Maya, as a person, is always emotionally ahead of me. Be it joy or pain or subtle changes in the relationship, she feels it ahead of me. Last week, she sent me a heartfelt account of how she felt about the victims of Tsunami (which she specifically didn't want me to make public) and how terrible she felt about it. Of course, I felt sad about Tsunami too but not to the extent of ruining my day and going back home - I donated a 4 digit number the moment they opened the relief fund in SAP; I was more than glad to forego a day's salary; I called up guys in Red cross asking them if there's any use for old blankets or shirts coz I can defintitely give them. And I felt good about myself - I didn't understand what maya was going through but I wrote a blog on cynics and hypocrites while listening to some good music and went back home to eat my mom's food. When I was in chennai, I was seriously thinking about going to one of those tsunami-hit areas at least once; In the same breath as I thought of having a haircut and getting my stamp size photograph - Just like a scientist working in some remote corner of the world, enjoying a happy life and glorifying his existence by attaching it to a benevolent cause - so like us. We are scared arent't we - we don't get out of our shell of comfort, go out and face pain, share and experience some. It's more than enough for our barista-coffee-pampered-conscience if we press a button and send 2000 odd rupees into some fund, seldom realizing that there are so many more who could do it and so few who can get their foot dirty. Yesterday, sitting in that movie hall, I understood what maya was going through.
No - it's not that a three hour movie has let me intellectually challenged and socio-consciously deranged. Before leaving france, for sometime I was quite seriously contemplating settling down in a village somewhere in south tamilnadu as a teacher. Just that, I wanted to wait for sometime and know what I am getting into to make sure I am not driven just by the romanticism of the idea. Quite frankly, I am not driven too hard by money or fame - I am driven singularly by the desire to make my existence matter. Start a company, direct a movie, write a book, teach - everything boils down to a desire to be heard, to make a difference and to bring a change in a subset of the population however big or small the population be. And what other way to make a difference than this - to help people who can't help themselves. Of course, a month and a half is past now and I have been languishing in coffee pubs and book shops in the search of a greater truth and I haven't moved an inch towards "making a difference".
I know I could talk a lot more - but let me stop and come back on monday to write about how I actually went and did something.
Now to the review of the movie - pluses. subtle texts like carrying the water bottle everywhere worked wonders; Shahrukh - in BOLD. very neat performance; though the stammer, the mischievous look, those extended arms that cover the screen were still there he fit the role to the T. One sore point is he's soon joining Ajay devgan in the terrible teeth department; gayatri joshi, one of the most beautiful faces on screen in recent times. can't cry for nuts but that's ok, I can adjust ;); Rahman's score - refreshingly different, the music during titles sounded offbeat but most of the time it gelled well; casting - not about sharukh or kaveriamma but aam junta including that one eyed old woman who says bijli. just perfect; a few scenes, including shahrukh's trip to collect the rent, shall stay in my mind for a long time to come; most of all, the director's confidence - the movie brims with it. he's not hurrying things, he concentrates on details and close ups, no words minced, clear characters. 10 on 10.
Just a few minor could-ve-been-betters. I am not one of those who think songs should be done away with completely. songs, when appropriate, express a lot more than sheafs of dialogues (take tanhayee in DCH for example). But I have always felt, you don't have play the whole song if you don't have scenes to cover it. Just a para or two. Still does the magic - they could've done that here in the second half. Secondly, the resistance of people could have been shown more realistically. You can't sing a song and convince people. So, the first school episode could have been a failure and the numbers could have increased. Thirdly, lots of bollywood cliches are missing in this movie and that's lovely but still the urge to have one, for example, how in a class shahrukh gives all wrong answers and then goes on to show how he actually knew the answers, we have seen that a lot of times, haven't we. It's ok - he didn't have to know the answers, may be. some such scenes were, for a lack of a better word, cliched. And so authentic was the movie that shahrukh breaking into a song routine or a dance move, even if minimal and basic, didn't fit
God! I am on a writing spree today :) Actually, ghussed a blog that I started writing before because it was becoming too long. What do I say about this! Let me stop now and get back to work

10 Comments:

Blogger Sagnik Nandy said...

brilliant review - especially coz you have cited reasons for all your opinions - a trait that has to be taught to most critics. on a diff note, i really liked your categorization of movies though i haven't personally changed my thinking b-coz of any movie. i watch movies with the intent of getting entertained - if the movie makes me think or moves me i am additionally pleased. yanyway, bottomline - great post - if i say any more then this comment will be bigger than most of my posts :) cheers.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Kumari said...

Sometimes i wish you just didn't have to get back to work.Period.

8:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First review on Swades that I could agree with!

Prian,
2000 batch

8:08 PM  
Blogger Srini said...

Hi Rathish,

I remember you well :) in fact I have been reading your blog since last week.You are there in many BITSian bloggers' links! Beautiful blog you have there.

Yep,thanks for adding me to that BITSian bloggers' list. Can I link you in my blog as well?

Regards
Srini

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The school scene where he gives all the right answers at the end - I bet Shah Rukh suggested that shot!

All things apart, yes I agree that Swades is a movie of a different genre. I think the best scene in the movie was when he buys that bowl of water in the railway station and drinks it.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Rathish said...

@Srini - do feel free to add a link to my blog. The honor's mine :)

@Prian - hey, nice to hear from you da. where are you right now and what are you doing?

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Rat,
Swades.. Definitely your categorising of movies in general is Convincing. A Good movie, yeah as you said, is one that is entertaining, that doesnt sit on your mind.That vanishes the moment you step out of the theatre. But i felt the word "Good" is so fuzzy that it all depends on the state of mind of that individual while he is watching the movie. If you take me, i said its a good movie, after watching it, (went for a nite show, so depressed i was that time), it was really good and i feel you get what i mean my writing it "it was really good". But i agree, emotions doesnt help a critic.

It was good Rat, that you keyed it.

And to insert an hyperlink to your blog,

i was insisting my father to watch the movie, and after much of pestering from me, he landed up in the theatre. You know rite, its Tamil Nadu and the same Swades was released as "Nesam" (just the translation of the audio track of the movie), and after watching it he said, absolutely the same you had keyed in your blog.

He added telling the they started the movie in Tamil, but the play was somehow stopped by the audience, and it was replayed in Hindi. Man, couldnt believe for people in TamilNadu who watched even Jurassic park in Tamil, they wanted it in Hindi. I am trying to research more on it, ofcourse while i look at the roof, but still it is surprising.

I am at Bangalore..:))..If you come over here, you can always catch me by my neck..:)))..

Bye Rat.

Gku.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey rat...
swades, no doubt is a good movie..but the screenplay cudve been a trifle faster, isnt it?i usually enjoy slow,realistic narratives ...i loved hey ram(which was even more slower)....but with swades...the last 20 mins, especially, cudve been more concise...

8:54 PM  
Blogger Rathish said...

@Gku - hey man! this is terrible you know. I live in airport road now and you are still in DD right? Will most definitely meet up sometime. Do me a favor, and send me (again?) your mobile number to my office account da!

@Anonymous - true da. i did feel after the "drinking water" incident the movie couldn't have scaled greater depths. Some unnecessary songs, all that confession of love (why can't they leave it implicit!), and the final sequence of he making up his mind in NASA could have been cut a bit. People tell me the turbine sequence could have been reduced. But I personally felt it added authenticity to the process. each one to his own :)

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, RAT!, I didn't check the comments section after posting mine.
Imagine my surprise when I got this page while googling for "prian tamil meaning". :)
Me in KPMG, staying in BTM, bangalore and prepping for MBA interviews.
Btw, your blog is the one stop webpage for many a netizen I know, looking for 'good' stuff. Great going!

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home